Fair enough. To boil it down iconik does 3 things:
- Provides an easy and holistic overview of all your media assets, wherever they are located. To do this it indexes all your storages, whether on-prem or in the cloud, and aggregates either the originals or the proxies to the cloud.
- Automatically tags your media assets with descriptive metadata using machine learning to make them searchable and discoverable. This is done for the entire video, shot-by-shot or even per frame.
- Helps you collaborate with anyone, anywhere, in your media workflows. This means for instance, sharing assets for preview or download, review and approve WIP, or even in the media editing process.
We believe the SaaS version is sufficient for most of our customers. However, the Enterprise version makes sense for customers with the following needs:
- A dedicated deployment (single-tenant) of iconik
- The ability use their own cloud provider/account, e.g. on Amazon Web Services, IBM Cloud, or Google Cloud.
- Access to the iconik backend services, like the database, search engine, etc.
iconik addresses this using something called iconik Storage Gateway (ISG), which is a lightweight cloud connector. Using its hybrid cloud model, this basically means that your high resolution content can stay on-site, whilst proxies and keyframes are automatically generated and pushed to the cloud. iconik uses the proxies for most of the workflows, including global sharing, collaboration, and even editing. That said, ISG can also upload the hi-res files if desired.
Yes! We apply bring your own storage (BYOS). Just mount your cloud storage in the admin section and iconik will start indexing it, generate proxies, and make the assets available for the relevant users. We like this approach since it will also keep your consumables costs down as these will be handled directly with your cloud provider. For performance reasons however, the proxies and keyframes are always stored on iconik storage.
We’ve built an AI-framework for auto-tagging video and audio assets, so we can easily use any machine learning service to tag content. This also includes a workflow for relevant users to manually review and approve the suggested tags. iconik is currently integrated with Google Video Intelligence and Amazon Rekognition, but can also be integrated with a custom trained service for your specific data.
We’re not planning on going bankrupt anytime soon :) However we do still have measures in place for every eventuality.
- The iconik API’s are very extensive, and through this each customer can access essentially all information available in the system relevant for them. This includes everything from media assets, metadata, annotations, comments, user/group information, and more. Using the API’s our customers can easily set up a backup scripts, e.g. they can setup an automatic backup to a location of their choosing on a nightly basis.
- Since we apply BYOS, you can actually hook up your own Google Cloud Storage or S3 to the system. This way, in the unlikely event of iconik becoming unavailable, your assets will remain accessible outside of the iconik realm. Furthermore, you can also limit iconik’s access to these storages with only read and scan access.
- Enterprise customers running iconik on their own cloud infrastructure also have full access to the infrastructure at all times, meaning full control of the backend and the data.
There are a couple of ways of doing that. Through the API’s you can get or update any information in the iconik platform using your app token and user credentials. In fact, we have no hidden API’s - meaning everything you see in the front-end is using the same API’s that are available for each customer.
In addition to API’s, we have webhooks. Any third-party app can subscribe to specific webhooks and trigger workflows based on specific events in iconik. E.g. export an asset when a specific metadata field has been updated to a specific value, or send an SMS to the ingest manager if an ingest job fails.
We’re also working on extending the customisation capabilities of iconik. Soon you’ll be able to add your own buttons/links to specific places in the UI - e.g. navigation bar, or the side bar buttons.
Quick Reference Guide
|Connecting on-premise storages (Storage Gateway)||Yes|
|Bring Your Own Cloud Storage||Yes - except for proxy storage which needs to be an iconik storage|
|Upload bandwidth cost||Free|
|Review and approval features||Yes|
|Browser support||Modern version of Chrome, Safari, FireFox, and Microsoft Edge|
|iconik Storage Gateway||Linux, Windows, and Mac|
|Third-party cloud transcoders (upcoming)||Telestream Cloud, encoding.com, Zencoder|
|Third-party on-premise transcoders (with Storage Gateway)||Telestream Vantage|
|Frame-accurate HTML5 player||Yes|
|Frame-accurate metadata and comments||Yes|
|Editing software integration||Adobe Premiere Prom Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Audition|
|API||iconik provides an open and programatically accessible framework. There are no hidden API's. What we use internally to query data is available publically.|
|Cloud infrastructure||iconik.io: Cantemo's Cloud Infrastructure
Enterprise: Customer's choice
|Video Intelligence||Google Video Intelligence is fully integrated, but other machine learning systems can be integrated as well, such as custom trained systems.|
|Image Analytics||Google Vision API is fully integrated, but other solutions can be integrated as well.|